Sunday, August 1, 2010

Inception

*note: I will not be giving anything away here. If you know me, you’ll be surprised, because I have no problem ruining movies for people. This one, though, is too good to ruin for you.

While Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the film with which I’ll eventually settle down and have babies, Inception is the film that has loved me so well I’ll never be fully satisfied by another. In truth, I started this blog so I could write about it.

I realize Leo is the star of this film, but my affair with it has almost nothing to do with him. While he will always have a special place in my heart for 1) being talented and 2) having worked with two of the great loves of my life (if you can guess them, I’ll give you a cookie), the way he said “Mal,” his wife’s name, was distracting. It was quite a vomitous sound, and Marion Cotillard deserves better than that. In fact, she deserves an Oscar for being both creepy and sympathetic at one time. I might be biased (I don’t know why – it’s not like Tim Burton made the movie), but I thought all the actors nailed it, even Ken Watanabe, whose words I could only guess from context clues. Some people (*ahem* Trey) only noticed Tom Hardy’s lips, but I thought he was so good as the “forger” (otherwise known as Eames) that I might hire him to live my life for me. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Who knew he was some kind of badass, unstoppable by even gravity itself?!

Really, though, this movie had everything good in it – it was creative, thrilling, stimulating, and, most of all, elegant. Also, it wasn’t a remake of something from the ‘80s, didn’t tell the back-story of a superhero, and didn’t have Taylor Lautner in it…or any of those sparkly vampires that I adore on paper and despise in film. It’s an impossible idea, but Christopher Nolan didn’t get bogged down in explaining to me how it was done. And, though the ending was a bit of a mystery, everyone in our theater (both times) chuckled when the screen went to black, instead of screaming at the screen like at the end of “Lost.”

To sum it up, I’d really like Christopher Nolan to remake Twilight. Maybe he and Tim Burton could collaborate. I’m gonna go get my letter-writing campaign started.

No comments:

Post a Comment